6-The Most Green And Eco-Friendly Resorts In The Daintree Rainforest
The Most Green And Eco-Friendly Resorts In The Daintree Rainforest
These are the Daintree Rainforest accommodation resorts that take the title “Eco” seriously. From recycling rubbish to actively replanting the rainforest, to using environmentally friendly products and water recycling these resorts are utterly committed to ensure that the environment you come to enjoy isn’t impacted by your visit.
Daintree Eco Lodge & Spa, just by its name alone, shows that its philosophy is one of uniting with nature and sustainability for the future. It certainly has a good pedigree for living up to its name. In the prestigious World Travel Awards (the ‘Oscars’ of the global travel and tourism industry) it has won three titles – the ‘World’s Leading Eco Resort and Spa’, ‘World’s leading Eco-Lodge’ and ‘Australia’s Leading Green Hotel’. It was even voted the World’s Best Spa Eco Lodge in 2006 by Emirate Airlines and Best Ecotourism Australia Award in the Australian Tourism Awards. That’s some recognition for this amazing resort nestled in the Daintree Rainforest. Ideal for couples, families and nature lovers.
- Guests are given a bird list and a table describing 22 of the more readily identifiable plants and with Aboriginal uses in some cases.
- There are a couple of self-guided walks which guests can take.
- Sewage is treated in a multi-chamber biocycle system
- Power is supplied from a mains line that runs along the nearby road
- Used kitchen oils are collected and returned for reprocessing
Eco-friendly Silky Oaks Lodge and Spa are committed to respecting the sustainability of the nature around them and Eco-awareness of all their functions. Originally, the Silky Oaks Lodge was located on 34 hectares in the Daintree rainforest that had been cleared for logging and grazing. There long term aim is to ensure that the environmental impact of the Lodge is zero. Silky Oaks Lodge and Spa is an ideal place for couples and families with children over 10 years old.
- Walls around the resort have been constructed to avoid erosion
- For the last 15 years they have followed a documented integrated Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Extensive planting over 34 hectares with native and exotic tropical plants
- For guests there is a self-guided walking tour to Melaleuca Island and Figtree Rapids upstream which is a 3.5 km round trip. The flora and fauna has been signed so you can learn their names as you walk round
- Guided tours with information on the Daintree Rainforest as you walk through the lush vegetation
- Water for the lodge is drawn from the Mossman River and treated on site with a sand-filtration and chlorination plant
- Electricity is derived from a mains supply with a backup generator and fluorescent globes and key-tag systems are used to conserve power
- Garbage is sorted and recycled
- Kitchen fat is collected and recycled
- All cleaning chemicals are biodegradable and low in phosphorous
- Silky Oaks Lodge has its own sewage-treatment plant, which was upgraded in 1994 to meet the World Heritage guidelines. The sewage is gravity-fed to wells which go through processes in the treatment plant
- Grey water from showers and from kitchen drains and sinks (after passing through grease traps) is also fed to the treatment plant. The final result is water quality of such a high standard that this is then used to irrigate their rainforest rehabilitation areas
Daintree Crocodylus Village is an eco-budget resort in the heart of the Daintree National park and immersed in its own 21 acres in the last remaining part of the lowland forest of the Daintree Rainforest. Ideal for those on a budget whether families, couples, or backpackers.
- Cabins, constructed off the forest floor for minimal impact
- No air conditioning
- Masses of eco and environmental information and well-marked self-guided walks with markers to name the flora and fauna
- Sewage from the resort runs by gravity to eight independent septic tanks
- Sullage runs to soakage drains and pumps
- Power is provided by a diesel generator that runs from 5am to midnight
- The kitchen and showers run on gas
There is plenty to see and do while staying at Daintree Rainforests Red Mill House Eco-Certified Bed and Breakfast Owned and operated by two enthusiastic bird watchers with priceless knowledge and experience of the unique eco-system and the local bird life of the Daintree World Heritage Rainforest. Red Mill House Bed and Breakfast at the Daintree is located on 1 1/2 acres nestled in the rainforest which has been continuously sustained for over 50 years. This is ideal for nature keen families, couples and birdwatchers.
- Low wattage bulbs
- Sewage is through septic tanks and electric is from the mains
- Recycle rubbish
- Use of eco-friendly detergents and cleaning products
- Water supply is direct from a nearby waterfall straight from the rainforest that is passed through a filtration system and is the cleanest water in Queensland
Eco-friendly Cockatoo Hill, Daintree Rainforest Retreat respects the environment and the fragile eco-system of the Daintree Rainforest that surrounds it. Every effort has been made to design an ecologically sustainable retreat. This amazing resort positioned on the side of the mountains with stunning views is a wonderful place for couples and nature lovers.
- Highly efficient solar system to aid in conservation
- Buildings designed with large windows and high ceilings to capture the breezes and natural light.The shade of the trees adds to the cooling of the rooms
- In the construction of the resort close attention in the planning stages went to ensuring as minimal impact as possible on the surrounding flora and fauna and animal habitats
- Water is roof collected and from a bore hole that is passed through a filtration system and is checked every 3 months
- Sewage - Biocycle system which is used to water the grounds
- Use of eco-friendly detergents and cleaning products with natural soap, shampoo and conditioners
- Low wattage anti-insect bulbs
For assistance in planning and booking your ultimate Eco Rainforest holiday contact our holiday specialists on 1300780806.