6-The Most Green And Eco-Friendly Resorts In The Daintree Rainforest
The Most Green And Eco-Friendly Resorts In The Daintree Rainforest
These are the Daintree Rainforest accommodation resorts that take the title “Eco” seriously. From recycling rubbish to actively replanting the rainforest, to using environmentally friendly products and water recycling these resorts are utterly committed to ensure that the environment you come to enjoy isn’t impacted by your visit.
The Daintree Eco Lodge And Spa
Daintree Eco Lodge & Spa, just by its name alone, shows that its philosophy is one of uniting with nature and sustainability for the future. It certainly has a good pedigree for living up to its name. Daintree Ecologes is an Eco Certified Avanced Ecotourism Property and Climate Action Business. In the prestigious World Travel Awards (the ‘Oscars’ of the global travel and tourism industry) it has won three titles – the ‘World’s Leading Eco Resort and Spa’, ‘World’s leading Eco-Lodge’ and ‘Australia’s Leading Green Hotel’. It was even voted the World’s Best Spa Eco Lodge in 2006 by Emirate Airlines and Best Ecotourism Australia Award in the Australian Tourism Awards. That’s some recognition for this amazing resort nestled in the Daintree Rainforest. Ideal for couples, families and nature lovers.
- Guests are given a bird list and a table describing 22 of the more readily identifiable plants and with Aboriginal uses in some cases.
- There are a couple of self-guided walks which guests can take.
- Biocylce waster water treatment plant that allows water to be recycled and used for irrigation
- Power is supplied partially powered by solar panels
- Used kitchen oils are collected and returned for reprocessing
- Minimise the use of single use plastics, with guests proved with reusable drink bottles, refillable toiletry dispensers and provide washable slippers made from recylable materials.
- Support the Reef Keepers Fund to protect and preserve the Great Barrier Reef
- Plant trees with partnership with Rainforest Rescue to assist in the reforestation of the Daintree Rainforest
Silky Oaks Lodge & Spa
Eco-friendly Silky Oaks Lodge and Spa are committed to respecting the sustainability of the nature around them and Eco-awareness of all their functions. Originally, the Silky Oaks Lodge was located on 34 hectares in the Daintree rainforest that had been cleared for logging and grazing. There long term aim is to ensure that the environmental impact of the Lodge is zero. Silky Oaks Lodge and Spa is an ideal place for couples and families with children over 10 years old.
- Maximixe recycling and eliminate single use plastics, conserve engery via smart technologies and water conserving fittings.
- For the last 15 years they have followed a documented integrated Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Extensive planting over 34 hectares with native and exotic tropical plants
- For guests there is a self-guided walking tour to Melaleuca Island and Figtree Rapids upstream which is a 3.5 km round trip. The flora and fauna has been signed so you can learn their names as you walk round
- Guided tours with information on the Daintree Rainforest as you walk through the lush vegetation
- Water for the lodge is drawn from the Mossman River and treated on site with a sand-filtration and chlorination plant
- Electricity is derived from a mains supply with a backup generator and fluorescent globes and key-tag systems are used to conserve power
- All cleaning chemicals are biodegradable and low in phosphorous
- Silky Oaks Lodge has its own sewage-treatment plant, which was upgraded in 1994 to meet the World Heritage guidelines. The sewage is gravity-fed to wells which go through processes in the treatment plant
- Grey water from showers and from kitchen drains and sinks (after passing through grease traps) is also fed to the treatment plant. The final result is water quality of such a high standard that this is then used to irrigate their rainforest rehabilitation areas
Daintree Crocodylus Village
Daintree Crocodylus Village is an eco-budget resort in the heart of the Daintree National park and immersed in its own 21 acres in the last remaining part of the lowland forest of the Daintree Rainforest. Ideal for those on a budget whether families, couples, or backpackers.
- Cabins, constructed off the forest floor for minimal impact
- No air conditioning
- Masses of eco and environmental information and well-marked self-guided walks with markers to name the flora and fauna
- Sewage from the resort runs by gravity to eight independent septic tanks
- Sullage runs to soakage drains and pumps
- Power is provided by a diesel generator that runs from 5am to midnight
- The kitchen and showers run on gas
For assistance in planning and booking your ultimate Eco Rainforest holiday contact our holiday specialists on 1300780806.