2-Your Most Delicious Dining Choices In The Daintree Rainforest
Your Most Delicious Dining Choices in the Daintree Rainforest
Accommodtion and Dining Out in the Daintree Rainforest
The Daintree Rainforest is located near the Atherton Tablelands known as the “food bowl” of Australia. Chefs in the Daintree Rainforest pride themselves on using fresh, locally grown produce that changes seasonally offering some amazing tropical tastes and bush foods. Many also use local meats like crocodile and kangaroo to give you a unique dining experience. Here are the best of the local Tropical North Queensland culinary delights. Bookings advised.
The Silky Oaks Accommodation Lodge – The Treehouse Restaurant uses fresh produce from the nearby ‘food bowl’ of Australia, the Atherton Tablelands. This “Mod Oz’ epicurean delight” (as described by one gourmet critic) is all accompanied by the best of Australian fine wine. Ideal for couples or fine dining for families (children over 8)
The Treehouse Restaurant of The Silky Oaks Lodge has been refurbished recently:
- Style: contemporary elegance
- Ambiance: best views in the Daintree Rainforest with its open-sided architecture overlooking the Mossman River
- Menu : changes according to the seasons, but all food has an elegant local twist from ‘Lemon myrtle poached crocodile’ and ‘char grilled kangaroo loin (in a cognac and pine nut sauce)’ to local fruits in the ‘Mango souffle’ and “Guanaja chocolate and Banana sorbet’
- Dietary requirements can be catered for
- Arrive early and have a delicious pre-dinner cocktail in the Treehouse Bar
- Other dining options: breakfast is to die for: enjoy a delicious hot buffet and you may even be lucky to see a platypus that lives on the banks of the Mossman River below. A afternoon teas are just perfect for catching up with friends with a stunning view from the Jungle Perch Room which overlooks the beautiful Mossman River
If you are not a guest at The Silky Oaks Accommodation Lodge then just call beforehand to check availability as they may not be able to accommodate walk-in guests.
On The Turps Restaurant is set on the edge of Cooper Creek and is enveloped by the Daintree Rainforest. Great for a romantic dinner for couples.
- Dining ambiance: Catfish and Jungle Perch share Cooper Creek with fresh water turtles and you’ll dine surrounded by the jungle sounds of calling birds and chirruping insect
- Breakfast: (7:30am-9:00am) Freshly baked bread and home-made jam, local coffee and tea
- Lunch: (12:00noon-2:00pm) Signature dish - “best barra in town” literally straight out of the water... Jungle prawn curry, with local prawns
- Post Lunch: Swim in the crystal waters of Cooper Creek as a pre or post dining experience
- Dinner: (6:00pm-7:30pm) Dine under the flickering light of candles and flaming torches. Dine on chicken and prawn curry, kangaroo fillet, cannelloni of goat’s cheese (vegetarian) and other delicious options
- Pre Dinner: arrive early and you can take advantage of their bar menu
The Julaymba (“Daintree River”) Restaurant at The Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa and Spa is stunningly located on an outdoor timber deck overlooking a peaceful lily pad strewn pond surrounded by jungle foliage. Ideal for couples and families.
- Featured in The Masters of Cuisine Magazine where it was heralded as one of the leading dining experiences in Australia
- Style: Australian fusion
- Menus: changes daily depending on seasonal availability of local fruits and vegetables. Previous menus have included “Pork belly with sweet potato skordalia, shaved red cabbage, pine nuts, currants and feta” or “Tiger prawn and squid linguine” followed up by a “Baileys and caramel cheesecake” or “Dark chocolate and wattleseed mousse with macadamia nut praline”. Organic food will be used where possible
- Wine: Australia’s premium, Champagne (Canard-Duchene Cuvee) and drink options are suggested as accompaniments for each menu option
- Arrive early between 4.30-6.30 pm for pre dinner sunset drinks
The Kingfisher Café and Gecko Bar are located in the heart of the Daintree Rainforest next to the Daintree Crocodylus Village’s budget accommodation. Great place for budget breakfasts and dinner for all the family
- Seating : 100 people so you can just rock up without a reservation (6:30pm-7:30pm)
- Dinners: (6:00pm-7:30pm) All at a set price offering delights such as Moroccan Lamb, BBQ Port, Spaghetti Bolognaise and Mango Chicken
- Breakfast: (7:30-10:00 am) you can choose between the very cheap toast option up to the more expensive Jungle Warrior option (sausages, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, eggs and toast)
- Sunday BBQ: Set price BBQ of steak, fish, sausages, salads and garlic bread
- Gecko Bar: Beer, cocktails and happy hour 6-7pm every night
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge – Off the Grid Restaurant (formerly Cassowary Restaurant)
Off the Grid Restaurant in the Daintree Rainforest overlooks the main pool at the Ferntree Rainforest Lodge. In Balinese style with polished timber you can dine in this child-friendly restaurant and enjoy family dining at its best.
- Breakfast: (7:00am-9:00am) - tropical fruit platter, yoghurts, fresh bread, croissants and local coffee and Daintree tea
- Dinner: (7:00-9:00pm) - Lamb shanks to perfectly cooked Barramundi to Prawn fettucine with vegetarian pumpkin pizza. All food is cooked with fresh, local and tasty ingredients. Menus can change depending on the season and availability
- Bar: For pre-dinner wine, beer, spirit or a cocktail
Just be prepared to be a little surprised by the sound of falling coconuts on the roof – a unique jungle experience!